Home Players Matches Opponents Players List Search Records
Change:  Move to:
21.08.2004 @ 15:00 The Recreation Ground Crowd: 301
Grays Athletic 4 - 0 Lewes
Referee: S Brook Conference South-Match

Leroy Griffiths (57)
Leroy Griffiths (61)
Leroy Griffiths (pen) (68)
Leroy Griffiths (85)
Starting Line-ups
Carl Emberson
Eddie Youds
Daniel Lunan
Steve Robinson
John Nutter
Joe Bruce
Martin Carthy
Dean Brennan
Stuart Thurgood
Liam George
Leroy Griffiths
Ade Bankole
Joe Vines
Max Hustwick
Francis Duku
Kirk Watts
Anthony Storey
Paul Kennett
Lee Newman
Luke Cornwall
Junior Kadi
Dwain Clarke
Simon Overland
Chris Wild
Ade Olayinka
Mitchell Cole
Dean Bradshaw
Warren Haughton
Marc Whiteman
Danny Davis
Barry Moore
Lee Fieldwick
Mitchell Cole -> John Nutter (72)
Dean Bradshaw -> Leroy Griffiths (85)
Lee Fieldwick -> Junior Kadi (69)
Marc Whiteman -> Luke Cornwall (75)
Yellow cards
Daniel Lunan (63)
Martin Carthy (63)
Leroy Griffiths (67)
Francis Duku (67)
Red cards
None Ade Bankole (67)
Match report |

Striker Griffiths earns the Grays’ plaudits

All hail Leroy Griffiths. Grays super-striker – who has been out of the team following a suspension – made his first team 2005 League debut and set about reminding manager Mark Stimson that he is a dynamic goalscorer.

Although without last season’s big scorer Freddie Eastwood, Griffiths netted all the goals in a bad-tempered display of second half powerplay at Bridge Road on Saturday.

Grays home game was flat for most of the first 45 minutes with only Kirk Watts and Luke Cornwall linking up to test the Blues keeper Carl Emberson.

Again Liam George – who scored the last goal in Grays 4-1 demolition of Redbridge – performed with dangerous runs into the visitors box. But if George supplied the fireworks…it was Griffiths who lit the touch paper.

Just before the hour Dean Brennan cut the ball back for Griffiths to stroke in.

Lee than five minutes later closed season signing John Nutter tested the defence and put through Griffiths to score from close range.

After an altercation Daniel Lunan and Martin Carthy were given yellow cards. Only minutes later Lewes keeper Adenola Bankole caught the leaping Griffiths with his elbow and the ref sent off the keeper. Griffiths blasted the resulting penalty past stand-in keeper Joe Vines.

With the visitors a man down Grays set about their visitors. Griffiths nabbed his fourth when he swivelled and struck a top corner shot to finish off the visitors.

Thanks to the Thurrock Gazette for the match report