Home Players Matches Opponents Players List Search Records
Change:  Move to:
08.04.2008 @ 19:45 The Wessex Stadium Crowd: 817
Weymouth 1 - 1 Grays Athletic
Referee: A Turner Conference National-Match

Simon Weatherstone (pen, 58) Jamie Taylor (33)
Starting Line-ups
Stephen Henderson
Chris Blackburn
Matthew Bailey
Kyle Critchell
Nick Crittenden
Simon Weatherstone
Anton Robinson
Mark Convery
Stuart Beavon
Michael Malcom
Scott Doe
Nicky Eyre
Adam Gross
Jamie Stuart
Jon Ashton
Simon Downer
Barry Cogan
Stuart Thurgood
Neil McCafferty
Aaron O'Connor
Jamie Taylor
Danny Kedwell
Franklin Anzite
James Coutts
Justyn Roberts
Trevor Challis
Jon Stewart
Jake Whincup
Andy Sambrook
Michael Standing
Jeff Goulding
Scott Taylor
Trevor Challis -> Michael Malcom (45)
James Coutts -> Nick Crittenden (76)
Jeff Goulding -> Barry Cogan (78)
Yellow cards
Simon Weatherstone (5)
Stuart Beavon (42)
Kyle Critchell (45)
Matthew Bailey (56)
Scott Doe (66)
Adam Gross (58)
Red cards
None None
Match report |
Grays' faint hopes of edging into the Blue Square play-offs were extinguished at Weymouth on Tuesday evening in a keenly contested, enjoyable match from which both sides deserved to take something.

Grays came out of the traps at a fair pace and forced Weymouth backwards in the opening stages, coming closest when Aaron O'Connor delivered a superb ball into a crowded box but no-one in a Grays short was able to get the vital touch

Weymouth settled to their task and Grays were fortunate on five minutes when Stuart Beavon had a strike at goal that bounced off the woodwork.

Beavon was to become an increasingly influential figure in the half as Weymouth exerted some authority on the play, but Grays weathered the pressure and on the half hour mark began to show their own attacking prowess.

O'Connor ought to have done better but capped a fine inside run with a shot straight at keeper Stephen Henderson on 31 minutes.

However, two minutes later he played a part in the opening goal, laying the ball to Jamie Taylor who took it on and left two defenders trailing in his wake before slotting the ball home.

Weymouth suffered a blow in the closing stages of the half when Henderson came to collect a ball and instigated a collision with Michael Malcolm who was unable to continue, being stretchered off and replaced by Trevor Challis.

Grays made a bright start to the second half and just two minutes had gone when O'Connor provided a fine pass to Kedwell but once again the shot was straight at Henderson who had to work much harder to keep out a Jamie Taylor shot soon after - this time after Kedwell had been the provider.

Having failed to take advantage of that early surge, Grays found themselves pegged back and the home side got back on level terms from the penalty spot on 58 minutes after Anton Robinson had been pulled back by Adam Gross.

It was a fair penalty and Simon Weatherstone placed it high and wide of Nicky Eyre.

There were limited chances after that, though Weymouth generally had the edge and in the closing stages it was something of a rearguard action for Grays, but as usual their resolute defence stood firm to earn the point.

Thanks to the Thurrock Gazette for the match report