Home Players Matches Opponents Players List Search Records
Change:  Move to:
17.03.2009 @ 19:45 The Glassworld Stadium Crowd: 641
Histon 4 - 1 Grays Athletic
Referee: R Lewis Conference National-Match

Jamie Barker (11)
Antonio Murray (18)
Jamie Barker (24)
Jamie Barker (30)
Andy Pugh (42)
Starting Line-ups
Danny Naisbitt
Lanre Oyebanjo
Matthew Langston
Patrick Ada
Gareth Gwillim
Jamie Barker
Matthew Mitchell-King
Josh Simpson
Nathaniel Knight-Percival
Antonio Murray
Jack Midson
Rob Beckwith
George Beavan
Jamie Stuart
Fabian Wilnis
Kenny Davis
Ludovic Quistin
Tony Dinning
Barry Cogan
Stuart Thurgood
Jamie Slabber
Andy Pugh
Joe Welch
Craig Pope
Neil Andrews
Lee Roachie
Richard Pacquette
Steve Arnold
Rob Gier
Jamie Taylor
Bradley Hudson-Odoi
Fabian Batchelor
Neil Andrews -> Josh Simpson (65)
Lee Roachie -> Jamie Barker (73)
Bradley Hudson-Odoi -> George Beavan (46)
Jamie Taylor -> Jamie Slabber (46)
Fabian Batchelor -> Ludovic Quistin (71)
Yellow cards
None Jamie Taylor (53)
Stuart Thurgood (82)
Red cards
None None
Match report |
It's not a farce because it isn’t funny.

With the team, 4-1 down at half time, Grays Ath Chairman Mick Woodward stormed into the changing room and treated the players to a tirade of abuse.

From the comfort of the room next door, press and public alike were startled by the foul-mouthed litany that spewed from the Chairman’s mouth.

The team went back onto the park and were followed by the Chair who stood in the dug-out for the rest of the game while the Manager sat cowed and beaten on the bench.

This was, possibly the most public humiliation that any manager had ever endured in football.

After the game, the Chairman was not repentant and repeated that he is “walking away” from the club.

Boss Gary Phillips defended the Chairman stating that he is the Chairman and Owner and so entitled to say what he thinks.

It's all very well to come out with platitudes such as is it not better to die on your feet than live on your knees? but Gary, in the midst of a recession, has food to put on the table.

In many ways, we're only seeing one side of the story.

It may be 'the economy stupid' as Mick is attempting to do the best he can for himself and others in the current financial climate - and the strain is clearly showing.

Last season this behaviour took the form of 45 minutes in Justin’s room after a 2-0 defeat by Weymouth. Now it's in public.

....and now the game.

What happened in the first half?

GOALS: In the 12th minute, Gareth Gwillim sent a free kick into the box; there was some movement from Jamie Barker and in slow motion the ball just trickled into the net with no Grays player moving at all.

Grays tried to push the game forward, playing the offside trap which worked on occasions, but Knight Percival Barker and Murray should have finished better and were unlucky to be judged offside

It gets worse. Tony Dinning sent a back pass which was aimed at Jamie Stuart but went straight to Anthony Murray who rounded the hapless Rob Beckwith to make it 2-0 after just 18 minutes

This was car-crash stuff. Mistake followed mistake and that includes every player in a yellow shirt. Even the rock solid, 'trust him with your life' Fabian Wilnis gave the ball away. It was horrific to watch.

On 24 minutes Jamie Barker latched onto another atrocious pass and slammed another in.

On 30 minutes Barker completed his hat-trick after meeting a great cross from Midson.

Andy Pugh pulled one back just before half time and Mick’s coup d’etat.

Grays drew the second half with Jamie Slabber and George Beavan withdrawn and Jamie Taylor on for his first run-out in a long time.

Bradley Hudson-Odoi came on and produced some good work down the flank. Histon relaxed somewhat and Grays managed to steady themselves.

Some Grays fans expressed their support for Gary Phillips, others vented their spleen at Rob Beckwith.

After the game, the Chairman stated that “Enough was enough” and that he was walking away from the club.

Report by Michael Casey
Thanks to Your Thurrock for the match report