Home Players Matches Opponents Players List Search Records
Change:  Move to:
13.01.2007 @ 15:00 Woodspring Stadium Crowd: 354
Weston Super Mare 0 - 4 Grays Athletic
Referee: O Langford FA Trophy / 2nd Round-Match

None Lee Boylan (47)
John Turner (67)
John Turner (76)
John Martin (90)
Starting Line-ups
Ryan Northmore
Craig Rand
Craig Loxton
Gary Thorne
Matthew Rose
Scott Walker
Marc McGregor
Gareth Hopkins
Marvin Brown
Ryan Harley
Ashley Bayes
Jay Smith
Andy Sambrook
Jamie Stuart
Gavin Cowan
John Martin
Tom Williamson
Ashley Nicholls
Glenn Poole
Lee Boylan
John Turner
Mike Wilce
Michael Hudson
Sam Bailey
Danny Knowles
Cameron Mawer
Nathan Moulds
Vincent Fernandez
David Wareham
Zardetto -> Ryan Harley (57)
Sam Bailey -> Gary Thorne (78)
Cameron Mawer -> Jay Smith (80)
David Wareham -> Glenn Poole (86)
Yellow cards
None None
Red cards
None None
Match report |
Holders Grays Athletic cruised into the 3rd round of the FA Carlsberg Trophy with this convincing win at the Woodspring Stadium.

Putting their recent troubles behind them, Justin Edinburgh's men were always in control and hardly broke sweat in overcoming an out of sorts Weston.

Grays were always first to every ball, always appearing to have men spare whenever required and once they had opened the scoring early in the second half there was only ever going to be one winner.

Had Weston taken the best chance of the opening half things may have been different but in the end class told.

Weston were without the suspended Lee Jarman at the heart of their defence but they can have no complaints about the outcome.

After a cagey start by both sides the first real chance of the game fell to the visitors when a cross came in from the left but Lee Boylan failed to control the ball and the danger was cleared.

Home keeper Ryan Northmore then fumbled a cross from the right but again the Weston defence was able to clear their lines.

On 11 minutes came the best chance of the half when a neat move down the left by Weston saw Scott Walker curl the ball into the area, Ryan Harley completely unmarked at the far post rose to head the ball goalwards, Ashley Bayes pulled off a terrific point blank save but the ball fell to Gareth Hopkins but his effort was charged down by the Grays defence and away for a corner. The ball was played short to Harley but his low shot was easily gathered by Bayes.

Glenn Poole then fired over for the visitors and Ashley Nicholls then saw his drive deflect off Craig Rand for a corner. When the ball came over Poole wasted the opportunity by firing wildly over the bar.

Andy Sambrook then tested Northmore with a curling 25-yarder before the home keeper then inexplicably dropped the ball from a corner but Gavin Cowan hooked the ball over from just five yards. Poole tried again moments later but his left foot attempt just cleared the bar.

As the half drew to a close Grays pressed Weston back in a sustained bout of pressure and John Martin was only inches wide when he met Williamsons cross.

Within two minutes of the restart the holders made the breakthrough, a mistake by Walker allowed Jamie Stuart the chance to feed Boylan and the striker made no mistake as he turned and fired home low into the far corner.

Walker almost made amends moments later when a miskick from Bayes landed at his feet but the keeper recovered in time to catch Walkers chip under his own crossbar.

The Weston goal had a lucky let off on 55 minutes when Craig Loxton had to clear off the line from Boylan and then Andy Sambrook spoilt a fine Grays move by blazing over when well placed.

On 67 minutes the game was all but over when John Turner neatly turned his marker in the area and gave Northmore no chance with a finely struck shot into the far corner.

It was all Grays from this point on, Northmore was happy to scramble away a stinging drive from Poole with his knees before Turner struck again on 73 minutes. From just outside the area he sent in a superb curling shot which beat Northmore all ends up.

The scoring was completed in stoppage time when Martin was allowed to run at the heart of the Weston defence and he unleashed a terrific 25 yard left foot shot that screamed into the top corner to cement a thoroughly deserved win.

Speaking after the game Weston manager Frank Gregan commented " I thought we competed well in the first half but after the break the class of Grays shone through and they were worthy winners.